BS 8903 & BES 6001 for a sustainable supply chain in construction
The UK construction industry is building increasingly on a sustainable supply chain. BS 8903 is a new management standard that has been written to help organisations to put the DEFRA Flexible Framework into practice, which takes account of the three “Ps” of sustainable development People, Profit & Planet. The standard shows organisations how to use their procurement processes to support their social, economic and environmental aims and, in doing so, to reap genuine long-term benefits for the business.
BES 6001 “Framework Standard for the Responsible Sourcing of Construction Products” is an alternative approach that has been written specifically for the construction industry by Building Research Establishment, the authors of BREEAM.
BS8903 defines for businesses how they benefit from being part of a sustainable supply chain:-
- Gain a marketing advantage
- Improve efficiencies & reduce operating costs
- Manage business risk
- Improve employee performance
- Improve relationships with stakeholders
How Construction Certification works with clients to create a sustainable supply chain
- Guidance on how to comply with customer requirements for a sustainable supply chain
- Project management for the development of a full BS 8903 or BRE 6001 management system
- Integration of sustainable procurement with quality, environmental and safety management
- Guidance on developing objectives and targets for sustainable procurement and business development
- Advice on certification bodies that are a good fit with the size and scope of the client
- Coaching for the team to prepare them for the certification process
- Supporting the client through the certification process, to ensure a successful outcome
- Internal audit programs to keep sustainable procurement on track
- Management support package to drive performance improvement and maintain certification
Construction Certification believes in light-weight but effective management systems that support business objectives.